Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Never a dull moment!

All I want is to have a quiet weekend at home but my husband likes to keep things lively.  Just another example of never knowing what to expect from one moment to the next happened to us last weekend and I will really need to be quicker on the draw when Terry asks me how I want to spend the day.

Shortly after noon, Terry asked if I wanted to do anything special for the day.  Madi wasn't home from piano yet and I had just got back from running errands.  Laundry was already done and I was just getting ready to read the paper and take a "moment".  I didn't really give a straight answer -basically I thought I was reserving my right to decide later in the day.  He decided to take a walk.  Seems harmless enough.

Madi and Dad
Fast forward two hours and he had gone on a walk and decided to weed-eat property in the neighborhood that has nothing to do with us (because that is who he is).  He came in and was sweaty and itchy and I sent him straight to the shower.  Here is where it gets to be like a bad movie.  He calls for me by name (my first hint that something is wrong).  I go in the bedroom and he is covered in hives and his face is swelling.  We begin a short argument about course of action..I am voting for 911 (even as I am dialing) and he wants to call nurse line.  NOT HAPPENING.  Everything goes into warp speed from that point on as he starts having trouble swallowing, chest pains, the whole nine yards.

Once the medics arrive, they load him up very quickly, get an IV going, treat him with some benadryl and with lights and sirens - head to the medical center.  Now, this is DEFINITELY NOT how I wanted to spend the day.

Since Mr. French has NEVER had an allergic reaction before, once we arrive, we think the worse is over.  But wait,,,,there's more.  He now goes into full anaphylaxis, throat closing, face swelling, and we have to have the serious talk with the doctor while all this is going on about the epinephrine shot.  He is very high risk because of heart disease, so just to be on the safe side, they roll in the crash cart.  I KID YOU NOT.  By now, I am gagging with him.  Side note:  He did ask if I could tell if his face was swollen.  Think Will Smith in "Hitch",  I really wanted to take a picture but decided it was not appropriate.  Mark on your calender that on May 16th, I was appropriate.  It does happen. Luckily, the crash cart was not needed and other than uncontrollable tremors, he suffered no side effects.

By this time it had become apparent that he was going no where fast.  They would now be admitting him to an all inclusive one night stay in the PCU (and half the day Sunday) because that kind of reaction can show up again for 8-12 hours.  I slept in the cardboard recliner (I said all inclusive) wrapped in my quilt Mom made me (for comfort from home) and a pillow off his bed.

He is at home recovering now.  We are unsure what caused the reaction - it was some sort of sting. I don't know everything about what keeps a marriage exciting and alive but I do know this - my guy is full of surprises ... and he sure knows how to treat his wife to a memorable weekend.  :)

Until next time,
#bbqforMemorialday
#PLEASE

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence