Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Where do we go from here?

This past weekend, Mom, Madi and I took a road trip to Louisiana to see my sister, Katy.  This is not the first time I have made this trip (nor will it be the last ,,,,by God's Grace).  In my mind's eye, I can clearly see her house, the neighborhood and connecting major highways, once we are in Louisiana. I can see a lot of the trip in between (including all the Sonic stops and our favorite, Jocelyn's Donut Shop in Palestine).   However, once we leave my house and approach the first toll road to get out of Austin, my mind's eye is not quite as clear.

NOW I find a "3 in one" app
What did we do before the Garmin?  GPS?  The Map Quest on our smart phones?  As we pulled out at 6:15 a.m. I plugged Katy's address into the handy GPS that is a part of our navigation system in the Ford Edge.  We had not even made it off the main road from our house before I realized "Houston, we have a problem".

Mom was quick to point out to me that the GPS did not show us driving on the green line that highlighted our route.  Soon, it showed us "off road".  I promise you, I never left the road.  Not missing a beat, I punched in the route on one of the phones in the car and we proceeded on the toll road which I am very familiar with.  All was good.  (TF-time to upgrade your navigation system!)

UNTIL...this route wanted us to take I-35 via Dallas to Louisiana.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  That highway is a last resorts choice for me.  Since the app on this phone did not allow options, I grabbed my phone so I could use Map Quest.  Keep in mind, we had not been on the road more than 30 minutes and were already on our 3rd app...err, map. As luck would have it, 3rd time was the charm.

We then started reminiscing about road trips of the past...when we had to use PAPER MAPS.  When we were kids and Mom took us to Wisconsin to visit Uncle Larry and Aunt Mae one summer, we did not just hop in the car and take off.  First, as a card carrying member, Mom contacted AAA (American Automobile Association) and advised them that she was planning a trip,  They then prepared a MARVELOUS "trip tik" which was a map in sections, outlining your entire journey.  Whoever sat in the front seat, was of course, the co-pilot and responsible for reading the map.  (Now, the map (app) talks to you).

If you missed a turn using a "trip tik", you had to actually turn around and get back on route, otherwise, you could be lost for hours.  With the modern version, the little voice inside your device quickly "recalculates" your trip so that you are never lost (or guilty of making a mistake).  This cuts down on much potential friction between passengers in the car.

Of course, an added bonus of the new regime is the ability to search out Sonic's if you don't see one right away.  This allows you to stray off the beaten path without fear of never being seen again.  You get your favorite large, diet green tea with extra ice (or whatever your fancy is) and continue on.  It's a miracle.

I don't claim to be the road trip expert, but this is what I do know.  This was not my "first rodeo" and although the mechanics of the trip have evolved over the years, the important things haven't.  You still need organization (to ensure a good music play list and snacks), a plan (so you can get from point A to point B) and a sense of humor.  DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

Until next time,
#allwhowanderarenotlost

your pal,
Kari




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence