Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Waking up confused

When I first moved to Texas five plus years ago, I had responsibilities across the state. This wasn't any different than I had experienced in Kansas with one small caveat  Texas is a BIG state. When I travelled across the state in Kansas, even venturing into Oklahoma (and always starting in Missouri) I put 40,000 plus miles on my car annually.  The only places I drove my car in Texas were to the office and to the airport.

It was during that frenzy of travelling, usually weekly (and sometimes with more than one trip) that I overcame my fear of flying. I racked up frequent flier miles and even earned a companion pass. This went on for almost three years before I departed that life.

Why bring it up now?  There are a few reasons. When I reflect on the past 26+ years of my career, travel has always been a significant part of the gig.  It's only been the past (almost) 2 years, that travel has become a "planned" part of my life.  Because of this, I now have a greater appreciation for simple things such as a daily schedule, eating home cooked meals (even though I am the one preparing them) and especially sleeping in my own bed the majority of the time.

The second reason I am reflecting on this is because I have been doing a significant amount of travelling lately. Since August 12th, I have slept in five different beds (6 counting my own), in five different cities, across four different states.  I am having flashbacks to when this was my life. And I ask myself not only HOW did I do this, but WHY did I think this was the way to live.  

There were many times during that period, that I would wake up not knowing where I was!  Not a good feeling.

Before you think I am backsliding into my old ways, the difference this go-round is only my current time away from home is work-related. Yes, you read that right.  As Terry and I close out this summer as full-time parents, we planned several trips to see family and friends (like family) before we send Madison off to college on Friday.

For reference, add one more bed and one more city to the list above come Friday. 

So while I am responsible for the jetsetter schedule, I also got to bring my favorite travelling companions with me.

And a GREAT time was had by all.

Finally, since Madison will be starting college next week, I do plan on showing up for work the ENTIRE WEEK.  I will reacquaint myself with staff and responsibilities.

But not for long. After enjoying a three-day Labor day weekend, I will add one more bed, one more city and one more state to the list above.

All business this time!

Until next time,
#fromsomecityusa

Your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence