Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Happy trails!

#avidhiker
Terry and I have taken our relationship to the next level.  Considering we have been married almost 20 years, one might say we have eased into it.  Yes, we have added communal exercise to the mix. We did have one false start a couple of years ago, when we were both in the same boot camp.  Once I returned to work, I had to let go of the early morning workouts.  Now, however, we are hitting the trails on Saturday and Sunday, exploring Texas and logging in the miles.

This is a match made in heaven for me.  Everyone already knows about my compulsive obsession with Fitbit (I may have mentioned before - I call mine Karibit) and counting.  This takes it to the next level.  No longer will I have to be content by circling the neighborhood for 45 minutes to reach three miles...now I can explore the great outdoors, (with my partner in crime) and the time flies by.

Did I mention I felt the need to upgrade my existing Karibit to a Charge 2?  This little beauty tells me everything I need to know from a fitness (and counting) perspective.  Out with the old and in with the new is what I say!

Friend Jessica turned me on to the ALLTRAILS app which shows me any trail near me (93 when I look from home) that are ripe for exploring.  Jessica and her family are no stranger to the trails.  They have been hitting them hard for quite some time.  The trails are ranked as hard, moderate (also can be difficult) and easy.  I can now attest that "hard" does indeed mean hard.  I made the executive decision (after our first go at the hard trail) that we can only survive one of those per weekend.

Deep in the wilderness

We also look the part of official hikers now.  With appropriate footwear and water bottles, Terry is also wearing the backpack with all essentials.  Specifically, bug spray, neosporin, kleenex, extra water, hairbrush and Terry's epi pen (let's hope we never have to use that).

Another bonus - my Fitbit stats on the leader board have risen significantly.  Not that this is a contest with my fellow fitbit friends (specifically no contest with my mate as he is not tracking using Fitbit) however, isn't life a contest? And just as an aside, I have been in first place for a number of days now.



Finally, my compulsion with the counting seems to be rubbing off on mi espouso.  Just Saturday when his Apple watch did not track the full 4 miles that I received credit for, as I was cooling down in the car, he could be seen walking up and down the sidewalk, dead set on hitting 4 miles before we left the trail.

Again, a match made in heaven.

Until next time -
#hittheroadjack

your pal,
Kari





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence