Wednesday, January 18, 2017

One is silver and the other gold

Has become family- friend (going on 45 yrs)
When I was in girl scouts, there was a little song we always sang (join in if you know it); "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."  I only remember the first verse but that's all I need.

Growing up, it was all black and white - either it was "She's my friend....or she's not my friend."   Friendships come so easy when you are surrounded by peers all the time.  School is a natural habitat to facilitate that growth and exposure.

As adults,  we have commitments to family, our job, etc. that push friends to the back burner.  We also have different categories of friends - work friends, childhood friends, church friends, couples friends..whatever interest and category we socialize in - there is another bucket of friends.

I listened to a podcast the other day and the topic was friendship and best friends.   It caused me to reflect on my many friends and best friends growing up.   I can think back to my first best friend (3rd grade).  Her name was Vivian and until I moved to another school district, we were inseparable.  I rebounded quickly in 5th grade when I met Marsha.  We were total opposites physically.  She was tall, blond and leggy while I was brunette, short and had to walk faster to keep up.  When she moved to Texas, my new best friend was Debbie.  For all of them to this day, I can still remember where they lived, and who was in their family.  Once junior high came along, I became best friends with Arlene.  This lasted until we went to different high schools.   Enter Cindy!

While I have had a best friend, I have also had a circle of friends.  Many of my initial best friends became a part of a larger circle.  Different friends serve different purposes.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I began differentiating acquaintances versus friends.  I also recognized the opportunity of having a more diverse set of friends as an adult.

New Texas fun friends!!
Since we have moved to Texas, we have made some new friends.  They have helped us become a part of a bigger family and provided a real sense of community.  We recognize this as particularly important - as most family members are a considerable distance away.  And since the advent of Facebook, I have "reconnected" with many of my friends from high school.

In reviewing and enjoying some of my high school memories, I was saddened to realize how many of those in my memory have died.  Milly, Gena, Belinda, Vivian, Mark, Tim, Rick..the list goes on.  And will continue to grow.  And then there are those friends who I have lost touch with.  In another sense, they are gone also.

Today I am going to reach out to a couple of friends - just to touch base and say hi. Or maybe share a memory that I thought of while thinking of them.

Until next time,
#whodoyoumiss

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence