Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Somebody....but not me.


I was talking to someone the other day (who will remain anonymous) and this person shared with me a story.  On the way to the store, a behavior was observed that the driver did not like.  It wasn't just an annoyance, but something that could be dangerous.  The driver said, "Somebody should call the police."  My person asked "if you feel that way, why don't you call?"  The answer was "no, somebody else, not me."

And it made me think.

How many times do we see something, and don't say something??  For a variety of reasons.  It doesn't have to be a behavior that is publicly dangerous, but how about a behavior that has personal repercussions.

We don't want to rock the boat.  We don't want to make someone mad.  So we turn a blind eye (or keep our mouth shut).  And the time will come when the consequence of the action arrives, and then we can say, "Ha.  I was afraid of something like this."  Or, "I knew that would happen."  And everyone nods in agreement.

But following those type of statements, the next question should be "did you share your concerns?"

Now that is not near as satisfying as saying "I knew it" but somewhere along the way, we need to take responsibility for perhaps choosing that road less traveled.  It doesn't have to be a confrontation, but a gentle observation.  This works well with kids and adults.  Sometimes we need to play the "what if" game to create awareness.  Talking through things can be an amazing thing!

I know I am guilty of this myself.  I would much rather avoid any potential of confrontation.  But that doesn't make it right.

Lord, please give me (and others) the direction and strength to say the hard things.

Until next time,
#speakingwithlove

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence