Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Going through changes, and not just my clothes

I am going through some changes, and I don't just mean my clothes.  But let's talk about that for a minute.  I have joined a group of neighbors recently in a boot camp that starts at 5:30 a.m. (allegedly twice a week).   We are pretty fluid in our meeting times because not only am I going through some changes, so is the weather here in Texas, and there is not a one of us in our group who are interested in working out in 30 degree weather at 5:30 in the morning.  Okay, so back to the clothes.  I may or may not sleep in my work out clothes, so I can roll out of bed and report to duty minutes after waking up (something I was never able to accomplish when I was working).  After an hour of pretty intense muscle discovery, it is time for a shower and my first change of clothes of the day.  It's still early and relatively cool so this means yoga pants and a long sleeved shirt.  By noon, I am now ready for my shorts and a tee-shirt if I am moving around at all (check it - outfit #3) and by sunset, it is now time to change back into long pants and a long-sleeve shirt.  This is a lot of time spent on wardrobe changes and we haven't even factored in on an appointment or date that would requirement special attention because I would have to LEAVE THE HOUSE.  It can get pretty crazy.

But where was I...oh, talking about going through changes.  It is amazing how perspective can change when one recognizes how little we really control.  I used to be very caught up in ruminating over what I would have done differently (past) and strategizing over plans still unfolding (future).  Unfortunately while I was busy focusing on things that now could not be changed, or agonizing over things that may never come to pass, I missed out on THAT day.  And THAT next day, and all the days that followed because apparently I wasn't interested in living in the present.  It only was interesting as a future concept or a past already spent.  The things I have missed.

And that is what has changed.  Last night I went to Madi's school music program where I allowed myself to be present for every song.  The words and melodies sung by those talented choirs touched my heart, lifted my spirits and a time or two, brought tears to my eyes.  We shared an experience.  I made a choice to be present.

As the saying goes, you must be present to win!

Until the next time,
Sign me,
The winner 
(Kari)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence