Wednesday, April 9, 2014

You can run.....but I can't!

We have all heard the saying, "you can't run from your past".  But what about the more general thought of "the past"?  I had a call the other day and for a minute was enjoying the voice and general conversation, visiting about days gone by until I realized that the past (from my perspective and the one I had made peace with) and the past my caller was calling about, were about to collide...from his innocent memory's perspective. 

Yes, I tried to run.  The weather was not conducive for running away and as my sister (bookend) will tell you, I am not a runner.  But it was fight or flight and I chose to fly (well, run).  I set the speed on my treadmill for as fast as my little legs could carry me and went for as long as my anxiety ran high.  (You didn't really think I was running away OR going outside in bad weather, did you?).  Three miles later (with an average speed of 3.5 mph and significant calories burned), I felt better....FOR NOW.

How is it that THE PAST - not necessarily MY PAST, can have such an impact when I have moved on?  Surely I am not the first one to find myself in this predicament.  Let me paint a picture (something my art teacher from 7th grade will also tell you that I cannot do well so let's go story form).  We will use my favorite analogy of that darn car accident again with the three witnesses.  This time, I am the witness that reported the driver was texting while driving, however, the other two witnesses were friends of the driver.  You know what happens next.  My story was not believed.  I did the right thing, told the right people and at the end of the day was left with a story that only I could believe.  Fast forward....three years.  Now, others who were injured by this same driver in other fashions are coming forward.  They remember my story that no one believed earlier.  They want SATISFACTION.  They are tired of being played for a fool by this particular rule breaker, and it's time to sing like a canary (or like Mick Jagger) that while they can't git not satisfaction yet - they are ready to go for broke.

The example above is only an analogy, and the names have been changed to protect the innocent (well, except mine).  No one was actually hurt in the creation of this example.  However, I have a gut feeling that there will be more to come on this hypothetical situation of THE PAST, not necessarily my own.

Perhaps a made for TV movie.  I do miss my microphone days.....

Until then,
your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence