Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Truth (and family) are stranger than fiction!

Do you ever feel that there might be cameras recording what is going on in your life at any given moment?  Otherwise, how did it get to be so ridiculous!!  Sometimes I truly feel like I am (or should be) starring in a comedy, sit-com.  Just 30 minutes, once a week; I don't want a 24-hour reality show, just the highlights.

This past weekend we traveled back to Kansas City to visit family and surprise Terry with a party in his honor for his 35 years of officiating football.  Son Tyler was the main instigator and made sure everything was ready to go.  I was responsible for getting Terry to Kansas City.  Since he had just been back a couple of weeks prior, I couldn't play the "it's time for a quick visit" card and I am never one to cry wolf with an "emergency" card.   Always a bad idea any time.  So I decided to wing it and not tell him anything, buy the tickets and go with the fact that it also happened to be his birthday weekend so Madi and I could commandeer his time using that excuse.

Everything was good, flights on time and he was truly surprised when we got to the airport.  As we were lining up for the last leg of our flight in Houston, I was just looking around when I heard a man say "Are you looking at me"?  Unfortunately I made the mistake of looking up and over, and yes, he was talking to me.  I just smiled and looked quickly away.  But no, this guy wasn't going to let it go.  He said, "hey, I asked you a question".   I did the quick shake of the head that means - No - knock it off and Madi  who was also in line, looked at me like "MOM" (because obviously I must have done something to deserve this treatment.  He was speaking quite loudly and continued to toss out badgering comments my way.   A couple of women behind the guy started smiling and laughing and I finally said, "knock it off".  He said - "Knock what off, do you want to hook-up in Kansas City or what"?  I was mortified, told him his pick up lines were about 20 years old and to leave me alone before my husband came back.  He started laughing so hard he was coughing. We won't discuss how many people were looking at us by this point.  I was looking down.

Luckily the line started moving and my #16 boarding pass got me quickly on the plane.  But it wasn't over yet.  Here he came behind Madi and making a spectacle of himself in the aisle proceeded to take the seat next to me.  Yes, the obnoxious man in the airport and my husband Terry was one and the same.  I felt like I was an unwilling participant on Modern Family.  Who was this man? 

For me, the moral of this story is - if you are going to take a man on a weekend without explanation - you must be prepared to encounter a man you may or may not know to spend that weekend with.
On the way back, although the party was a great success and it was good to see everyone, Madi and I dodged the first boarding call and made a run for the gate rather than risk standing in line with Clive.

Can you blame us?

Until next time,
your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence