Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Keeping one foot in reality - it shouldn't be this hard

There is something wrong with my family's perception of reality.  This isn't a new dawning to me, nor is it limited to any one generation of the four we have running right now.  It's an equal opportunity defect that tends to spread rapidly once the swan song of doubt begins playing in our mind.

Let me set a simple stage for you.  Hind sight makes it so clear that it may seem difficult to see the sinister implications as they played out.  I ask you to take my hand and step into my world.  It all started when I arrived at Madi's basketball game.  Terry was there but Tyler hadn't arrived.  I asked Terry if he had heard from him and since the answer was no, I texted him to see if he was coming.  Some time passed before Mr. French asked if I had heard back from the boy (aka 32 year old grown man).  Since I had not, I shot him another text.  NOTHING.  This is when the seed of doubt was first planted.  Let it be known that these seeds sprout into full grown plants VERY QUICKLY.

The next text was "why are you ignoring me?"  No answer.  Well, by now you can see that this train had totally jumped off the track.  After asking Terry if he had even talked to Tyler that day (he hadn't) I was thankful the game was over so I could forgo supper and head straight home (to deal with whatever tragedy awaited me once I arrived).  I prepared myself as best I could for the household accident that may have happened, the inevitable crime scene (and reviewed my afternoon schedule since I do watch Dateline and knew that the police would be asking questions).  I made it about half way home before the burden became too heavy to bear alone.  I did what any mother would do in this type of emergency.  I called my daughter.

Because she is her mother's daughter, when I explained everything to Marissa, her response was appropriate.  In my family, it wasn't "you watch too much TV or why do you respond so negatively".  No, she hopped on the bus with me and said something to the tune of "but wait, you mean you aren't home yet and don't have the rest of the story with a happy ending?  Mom, now I am all tense. How much farther do you have to go?" 

Can you imagine pulling up to that dark house and seeing his truck there?  Mentally reviewing who I should call first, how to do CPR (the new way) and trying to decide whether or not I should use my cell phone or house phone (in case I was too hysterical to get my address out), I slowly got out of my car.

When I opened the door, I was immediately hit with the strong odor of BUTTERED POPCORN.  I felt weak with relief and indignant with rage.  TYLER!!!!!!!   The rest of the story involves a cell phone that wasn't working until it was reset and a few head shakes over my scenarios.

I would like to say I will have learned from this but in reality (and that is where I am operating from now), I just think I dodged a bullet.  The next time the phone rings and the time is off; or I call/text someone and don't hear back from them in a timely manner, if my life isn't flashing before me - someone else's might be and instead of "hello" I promise you, I will answer "what's wrong"? 

Until next time,
#tryingtostayreal

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence