Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Careful what you wish for!

September 12th was an exciting day for me.  My phone has been ready for an upgrade since May and I have not been in a rush this time.  Around July, when I started thinking I might go ahead and order a new phone, I heard two things that prompted me to wait.  First - after August 13th, Verizon was doing away with contracts.  Well, since I wasn't considering "doing away" with Verizon - all the better to get a new phone without the commitment.  Secondly - being an avid iPhone fan -and only having a 5s - I heard the announcement that a new upgrade to the 6 would be available on September 9th. That was all I needed to know.  And the wait began.

Madi and I made the switch from "flip phones" to "smart phones' as soon as the option became available.  And we never looked back.  In fact, it has been so long ago, I can't even tell you when we last held what we thought at the time was "modern technology".  Not so quickly for Mr. French.

What college is this?
He held on to that flip phone long after it lost its luster.  People would text him and he would complain (first about the added cost  $0.50 a message - since he was not a subscriber) and finally about his inability AND UNWILLINGNESS to text back on a phone that you had to go through all kinds of gyrations to create a message.

He also spent countless hours upstairs - tied to his desktop computer, because of his unwillingness to recognize the benefits of a smart phone.  Rather than miss out on Prime time, he did have a TV mounted in the corner of his office, but what about family time?  If we wanted to spend time with Mr. French, we had to crowd into his office and directly compete with his computer, TV and flip phone (business calls were never exempt from our evenings).

HE is in there somewhere-with his phone!
What to do, what to do????  Madi and I finally thought we had it all figured out.  March came along with a special someone's birthday and SURPRISE - it was time for an upgrade.  We introduced Mr. French to a smart phone of his very own.  In fact, due to the timing - his smart phone was SMARTER than ours.

No more slinking away of an evening to check emails.  He could do this from anywhere.  At first, he limited himself to just emails and texts (welcome to the 21st century).  But soon enough, he had a presence on Facebook and an app for every sporting team and affiliation he was interested in, downloaded on his Very. Smart. Phone.  These things all take time to follow.

And like I said - he could do this from ANYWHERE!!!  For example, remember last week when we were on our college visit?  Yep.  Did I mention dinner time?  Watching TV?  In the middle of a conversation?    WE HAVE CREATED A MONSTER!!

Since his first introduction to an iPhone, he has "on his own" made sure he stayed ahead of Madi and myself on upgrades.....until now,

I don't know what the future holds but I do know this,  Madi and I will be in the next class of iPhone users by the first part of October.  I guess we will wait and see what the "monster user" will be texting us with next....

Until next time,
#upgradingjustmyphone

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence