Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The culmination of a journey

2009-2015
This morning Madi and I hopped (not literally) on a plane to Dallas for what seems like a very short journey, but in reality, we began this trip ten years ago.

When Madi was eight, I took her to her first concert..,Hannah Montana. Oh yes, we all remember that beautiful, talented girl before she became who she is today. Unrecognizable. But interestingly enough, even though Hannah was the main event, Madi left that night with a heartfelt (literal) interest in the front band...The Jonas Brothers-specifically Nick. That was the tee-shirt she wanted and as she got older, she never lost her interest.

We attended several Jonas Brothers concerts.  We had the obligatory Jonas Brothers themed birthday party. She had more tee shirts with Nick specifically, than Carter's had pills (as the saying goes).  She signed her letters Mrs. Nick Jonas. We are talking. All. In. 

When she was eleven, she broke her leg.  While recovering, she wrote a letter to Nick, telling him about her injuries but finishing with "when I am 18, I am going to meet you."

This letter was all but forgotten until this summer when we were going through some old boxes. When we came across it, Madi pinned it on her bulletin board, and I pinned it in my memory. 

Her dad and I didn't have anything special planned for her 18th birthday until we heard that Nick Jonas was going on tour.  Should we purchase that VIP much coveted package which included photograph, autograph, dressing room visit and being serenaded?  Did I forget the guitar picks?  And after show party?

Right now, I am sitting in the balcony watching Madi and Kenadee jockey for position in the front row, waiting for him to come on stage. 

After the photo session, Madi came over to me, put her head on my shoulder and wept. 

I don't know everything but this is what I do know. The culmination of a journey carries a lot of baggage. Even happy  journies. And this was a particularly sweet ride.

Until next time,
#notthepope
#sogladthejourneywasshared

Your pal,
Kari

PS. EARPLUGS ANYONE???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence