Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Never too old to learn

So this week I am in Mediation training.  It's a 40-hour course I am really interested in and today was the first day.   We were reminded of the different learning types, what is important to people and the different mediation styles (for starters).

I am primarily a visual learner.  I have always known that but it was fun to review the list again and validate all the reasons on the checklist.  I had to laugh when I saw "draws pictures instead of using words".  Many times I find myself trying to draw out what I am trying to say to an individual (or a group) so they can SEE what I am SAYING.  Another style is kinaesthetic, or physical.  This is sooo Madi.  Just last week I was watching all the girls basketball team line up for the national anthem. Everyone is standing still, with their hand over their heart....everyone that is, except Madi.  She was swaying back and forth. keeping time to the music.  Later, while she was taking a break from the game, everyone else sitting on the bench is still, intently watching the game.  Her legs are bouncing up and down so fast, she might as well still be on the court.  That's my girl.

Yes, I took a picture!!
The training flyer we received with all the important information (dress code) arrived a couple of days ago and it mentioned the dress code was casual...even jeans or shorts were permissible.  This was all good news to me.  I like to be comfortable when I am sitting in a classroom for eight hours focused on subject matter.

We were sitting in groups of four and I was with two other women about my age and a young man in his twenties.  Everyone was quite pleasant and during the group activities, we all equally participated and contributed.  I believe it was around mid morning when I happened to glance down and notice that my seatmate (the young man) had his shoes off.  Okay, I guess I know several people who like to kick their shoes off when sitting at a desk, table, etc.  NO BIG DEAL.

During our first break, as I was walking around the lobby to get some steps (think FITBIT), my new friend was returning to the class room.  BAREFOOT.  Now, I thought that was pushing it a little, especially when I turned to walk in with him and he then went up to talk to the instructors for a while. Still sans shoes.

But wait....there is more.

At lunch, we had an hour on our own and one of the lady's at our table and the young man, began to drift with me as I walked out the door, discussing eating options.  Deciding Subway was close and within walking distance, it wasn't until we were half way across the parking lot that I noticed....you got it....still NO SHOES.  At this point, I believed it was safe to say that my highly intelligent, articulate class mate did not WEAR SHOES.

This brings casual to a new level.

After we ate at Subway (and weren't asked to leave), the other lady with us finally said, "I can't help but notice, you don't have on shoes".  How's that for taking on the shoeless elephant in the room?? As it turns out, he just doesn't wear them unless he has too.  And hasn't since college.

Now, I don't know everything but I do know this.  I thought I had to wear shoes in public.  He apparently doesn't feel the same way.  This is how people end up needing a mediator.  Ironic, yes?

Until next time,
#keepAustinWeird

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence