Wednesday, March 9, 2016

59 candles

Earlier this month I had a birthday.  It's not the first time (hehe) and by God's grace, it won't be the last.  However, this is my last birthday in this particular decade and I spent some time reflecting on birthdays in general, and other birthdays that were particularly memorable.

First of all, without all the days leading up to the big event, the birthday would never happen.  When I was growing up, birthdays included a countdown.  Because kids didn't have the parties they have today, it was all about family and having your favorite meal prepared..  The first party I remember with friends was when I turned 16.  My friend Cindy D. threw a surprise party for me.  This was nice and thankfully I didn't cry during the singing (which seemed to be a conundrum for me).

I really don't remember the "significant" birthdays of turning 18 or 21.  By the time I was 18, I was engaged and at 21 had been married four years with a one year old daughter (terrifying to think of when I look at Madi, but NO ONE does that anymore).

I used to think I needed a new birthday "outfit" each year.  This was a challenge living in the Midwest because in March it could still be winter or spring.  I don't remember when that stopped but when it did, it morphed into just being content to fit into the same clothes as the year before!  Some birthday highlights -

25 was the year I worked at the same place as all my sisters.  This was always entertaining.  Particularly so on this birthday when bad sister Lori sent in a male stripper.  WOW.  I don't know what I appreciated more - the thought (and dance) or when I found out immediately afterwards that she DID clear it with my very conservative boss!

Thirty was the year my two little girls sang to me, gave me little presents and then I went in the bathroom and wept.  First birthdays after the loss of a child are difficult and seem unnecessary, but just can't be explained to young children.  So one endures....

I felt like I was getting "old" when I turned 35.  I remember thinking..half way to 70.  I have a daughter older than that now.  And I think she is still rather young...(oh, perspective)!

Surprise was the theme (again) but this time for 40 (and from my husband).  What a great year that was.  Just moved to Kansas City and Madison made her appearance later that year.

Birthday surprises!!
When I turned 50, I wanted to plan my own party.  That was the year we (my siblings and I) decided that we would all come together for each other's 50th celebration.  Since all five of us were born in a six year period, this guaranteed the beginning of annual visits.  I also remember driving into work and seeing signs two blocks away announcing my age.  It still makes me smile.

55 found me in Arizona with all my siblings, celebrating with my mom and Uncle By, who also got married while we were there.  (just to be clear, my mom and Uncle By did not get married - he married Aunt Barb).  It was a great time and was the beginning of the sibling annual reunion getaways.  I am so grateful that once grown, we still like each other and enjoy being together.  Don't get me wrong, we can still fight, just not physically anymore...and we always get over it.

So what will this next year bring?  As I move to the next decade, one day at a time, I continue to count the many blessings I have.  I truly enjoy my birthday, as they present opportunities for me to hear from people I haven't heard from.  I love the emails, a text, or phone call that instantly reconnect me to someone who has played an important role in my life

This year my mom fixed me my favorite dinner, and I spent the evening with family.  Except for the countdown, it was just like "the olden days".

Until next time,
#59new39

your pal,
Kari









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence