Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My latest experiment..ME!

Card carrying believer
I have never been one to shy away from trying new things and throughout life, I have participated in many "fads".  Of course, at the time, I thought they might be here to stay and some have fared better than others,

My first "perm" was when I was about 22 years old.   Everyone was getting their hair curled and I decided my hair wasn't curly enough.  My step-mom was a beautician so we had easy access to just about anything "beauty related" but what I didn't understand was that it didn't guarantee "beauty results".  When I arrived home and got out of the car (my hair barely fit in the front seat) my sister Junie, who was then about 17, started singing "On the good ship, lollipop".....   Before she got any further, I burst into tears, ran into the house and locked myself into the bathroom for several hours. My hair had not calmed down before I came out.

Not all my experiments have involved physical self humiliation.  You will remember past blogs where I shared my sense of adventure and journeyed on the road less traveled (short cuts) only to arrive hours after I was expected.  My famous last words then (and still now) are "I just wanted to try a new way".

And how about cooking foods a different way.  Now here I tend to be a little more successful.  Either that or my family knows which side their bread is buttered on.  Wait, now that I think of it, there have been several items that I thought got RAVE reviews yet never made it back on the rotation.  HMMM.

 Which brings me to now.  I am on Day 11.  Of what you might ask?  I am doing the WHOLE30!  This involves clean eating and saying no to all things processed, dairy, grain, sugared, etc.  I think you get the drift.  In a nutshell - I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PEANUT M&M's OR COOKIES FOR 11 DAYS!!  And, one more item of significance, I have not weighed myself since Day One.
#iamnotstarving

For those of you who know me even slightly, I have an unhealthy relationship with food, body image, weight, numbers, steps, counting, liars (oh, I guess I don't need to list everything).  This particular plan has taken a level of commitment and discipline that I started basically on a whim.  My daughter Marissa (who may or may not have some of the same issues) did a serious study of this plan and decided to commit to it.  She also decided it would be fun if I COMMITTED TO IT ALSO.  Well, misery loves company.

Since I believe I can do anything for 30 days (or 28 as they case may be), I signed up.  It may be the best experiment I have ever done.  Certainly better than the perm and the opportunity to get lost on this venture is minimal,

I don't know what's right for you but this has proven to be an eye opener for me.  If you are struggling with your relationship with food (and I guarantee you a relationship is involved) and food is winning, I encourage you to open this book, or google WHOLE30,  This could be your next experiment.

Until next time,
#nostrangertosugar

your pal,
Kari



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence