Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Climbing out the window...

One of my favorite quotes is by Helen Keller and goes something like this (I am paraphrasing).  So often we stare longingly at the door that has closed, we fail to notice the windows that are open.  This can be so applicable.

Lately, Terry and I have been working on opening windows.  Not literally, but let's remember...we will soon be "empty-nesters".  Our closed door will be the full time parenting that we have become accustomed to for all of our married life.  I mentioned a few blogs back that we are "dating" again and we continue to look for opportunities to spend time together.

Or even out for drinks!!
It may kill me.

Don't get me wrong.  He can take me out to dinner every weekend night (and on occasion he has) but I need to know; how did we used to go out on week day nights a few short years ago (ok, 20+) and still show up to work the next day? It's one thing to plan a date night for a Friday or Saturday night (every other week).  I think we have those down now.  And we have even started talking to each other across the table.  Yes, this means "phones down"  unless I am logging what I am eating (or he is checking a late breaking score).  We are doing pretty good.  And this is even in restaurants with no TV.

This next level is the sporting events I am now occasionally attending.  Who doesn't enjoy a UT basketball game, particularly when they are playing KU?  This is the second one I attended with him. The first one was against West Virginia, an easy 6:00 pm game, basically down the street from where I work.  He parked next to me, we got a mile walk each way (#fitbitforlife) and we were still home by 9:00 pm.  Long day but doable.  Then comes KU.

I didn't realize it was an 8:00 pm game until I had very enthusiastically committed to attending.  That meant a quick drive home, supper preparation, wardrobe change and back to the same commute I make every day of my life (Monday through Friday).  Okay.  The game was great.  UT forgot to show up but their fan base was there in full glory.  This was not a family friendly crowd (at least where we were sitting).  When UT is losing, the adult fan base gets ugly.

Luckily for me, I have been around Terry for a few Chief losses, so I am familiar with this type of behavior (and language).  But I digress.

By the time we got home it was 11:00 p.m.  Madison had played a softball game earlier (that we missed) so we spent a good amount of time catching up on that.  By the time I went to bed, it was already the next day.  I had a headache and I didn't even have a drink!

I guess maybe the lesson here is to crack the windows open, before flinging them wide all the way. Or maybe just open the curtains.  We will see how it goes.

Until next time,
#sleepisanecessity

your pal,
Kari





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence