Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Walking in history-what a lesson!

Madi making friends
Madison and I (along with 39 of our closest friends) just got back from a 10 day stay in Europe, Specially we visited Greece and Italy.  What an opportunity to walk where so much history has happened.  And walk we did.

Just days prior to the trip, I managed to break my big toe (right foot),  Nothing like being prepared to walk the just 59 miles.  Yes, I checked my Fit bit upon return and the total number of steps for this ten day period was 144,367 (you are reading that right).

As luck would have it, (or grace)  on the first night we checked into our hotel in Athens, I managed to fall down the stairs and wrench my right ankle (notice a theme there) so hard I HEARD it.  This now took my mind off the broken toe.

Immediate impressions of Athens was the total acceptance and prevalence of graffiti on all buildings. We saw this also in Italy but not as much.  Some of the art was quite beautiful but overall, it was very distracting for me to see so many pictures, symbols, numbers and names spray painted on any available surface.  On day two I had extra time to enjoy this as I managed to become separated and lost from the group for a short time (probably about 1,500 steps).  Anxiety checked off list at that point.

Kari making friends
Something we really liked in Greece was their attitude toward dogs and cats.  There were many of both wandering, sleeping and sitting throughout the city.  They all appeared well cared for and healthy.  They were also very friendly.  Our guide told us that everyone took care of the animals, and they didn't belong to any one person.  Vets would spay/neuter them so the population did not get out of control and they were welcome everywhere ....outdoors.

We visited several cities (Athens, Delphi, Kalambaka and Meteora) in Greece before taking a 17 hour ferry ride over to Ancona, Italy.  Our passage was quite smooth and I was gently rocked to sleep in a very nice accommodation for the trip. Since I have never been on a cruise, I was wondering just how that would go.  SUCCESS.

I LOVE Italy.  We stayed in Rome for four days and also took a fast train to Florence for one action packed day.  I have never eaten so much pizza and gelato in such a short time frame.  We visited the Vatican, St. Peter;s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel.  We also spent time in the Catacombs, the Coliseum and the Forum,  So much to see and do,

In Florence we walked all over the city (loved my six hours free time) and Madi and I both came back with new purses!  No money to put in them but they look good.

We flew from Austin to Athens and returned from Rome to Austin - via the Heathrow Airport in the UK so we managed to hit three countries in total.

By the end of our trip, I was ready to come home but will definitely want to go back to Italy again (make note Mr. French).

I love to travel and see what the world has to offer, but I am always grateful to have a home to come back to.  While we were blessed with safe travels, good health and hearty appetites, terror reigned the day after our return; this time in Brussels.  We will keep all those impacted by this violence close in prayer and will not yield to the fear that these terrorists hope to inflict.

Until next time,
#worldwidetraveler

your pal,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence